Health Communications & Outreach
Health communication is the study and practice of communicating promotional health information, such as in public health campaigns, health education, and between doctor and patient. The purpose of disseminating health information is to influence personal health choices by improving health literacy.
Health communication includes verbal and written strategies to influence and empower individuals, populations, and communities to make healthier choices. Health communication often integrates components of multiple theories and models to promote positive changes in attitudes and behaviors.
Outreach and communication activities can be varied. They can be aimed at different people and groups. However, your overall goal in outreach is providing more people with the literacy services and supports they need.
A critical component of IC’s Public Health support is communications and outreach. Intellectual Concepts:
- Provides communication facilitation and consensus-building between stakeholders.
- Develops and implements communications and outreach plans for public health campaigns.
- Builds capacity through formal and informal training and mentoring.
- Provides technology solutions for field data collection, and communications and outreach on mobile platforms.
- Designs and implements person-to-person communication.